19 August 2008

Schenley Park run


A very pleasant 5.1 miles with Guthrie in Schenley Park today. I didn't bring my camera, so the route map (from my GPS) will have to suffice. I had only planned on running 3-3.5 miles, but took a wrong turn and ended up over 5. I guess 'taking a wrong turn' is somewhat misleading in that I was just exploring a trail and had no clue where I was going to come out until it swung back around and met up with my outgoing trail about a mile from the car. I love adventuring, and Guthrie is very supportive, as long as I stop and let him drink from the streams we ran along and crossed.

The run started out on a very comical note, though. Guthrie hates to swim. He won't do it unless he really screws up and falls in. Or times where the water below the canoe is really clear, and he thinks that since he can see the bottom that it's shallow enough to walk. The look of panic on his face as he realizes his feet aren't hitting the bottom, and his head is going under will continue to make me laugh for the rest of my days. Anyway, today, he launched himself into the fish-shaped pond (as seen on the map) not realizing it has a stepped artificial "shore". Full immersion and an astonishingly quick pop back up out onto the shore. I hope he wasn't mad I didn't warn him. I'd prefer him to swim voluntarily.

No comments: