03 August 2008

Ride up into the Hill District

I didn't have much time to ride this weekend. I was able to sneak an hour ride in before breakfast today, though. I rode up into the Hill District to explore and then down into Oakland before picking up bagels for breakfast.

I realize it's a generalization, but I really don't think many people in my neighborhood have ever been up in the Hill District. There are some amazing houses and a lot of them are well taken care of and obviously appreciated. Sometimes, it seems like locals feel that it's all a war zone and falling down. It's not really like that. Sure, there are bombed out parts, as there are in any city, but there is much more. Lots of people living normal, relatively happy lives in completely different circles than those of other neighborhoods.

I found a wonderful park in the Upper Hill District where the water tower is. Google Maps is telling me that it is Herron Hill Park. However, there was another name, a person's name, on a sign at the entrance. I wonder which is the one that people who live nearby use. In any case, the views from the walking trail around the reservoir are amazing. You can bet I'll check back in and see how things change with the seasons. Enjoy some of the views.

Bloomfield Bridge and the new Children's Hospital.

Looking West toward downtown Pittsburgh and beyond.

Looking northeast over Bloomfield and West Penn Hospital. Our house is in that mess somewhere.

Final shot of Pittsburgh's downtown.

No comments: