24 September 2008

Basil blue burger - nostalgia of young love


So, I happened to find myself in Colorado at the Southern Sun brewery on Sunday eating and drinking with Christina and her husband, Jeremy. It was nice to get to see them for a while during the short trip.

The Southern Sun and Mountain Sun brewery/pubs were instrumental to Bethany's and my sprouting relationship back when we were grad students in Boulder. Being the special masochistic idiots that we are, we were there only two people in our program to have signed up for a certain set of insane workload classes our first semester at the University of Colorado. Naturally, when two ueber-geeks find each other like that, they start hanging out. We had a 4-hour break between classes twice or three times a week. Our solution to passing this big block of time was to frequent the brewery, drink great beer and eat basil blue cheeseburgers and fries. Bethany and this burger were my vector back into eating meat, as I had been a meta-vegatarian at the time (maybe pesco-vegatarian is the correct term, as I was occasionally eating fish). From their menu:
BASIL BLUE CHEESEBURGER
blue cheese crumbles and basil blended into a dressing, then poured on the burger and garnished with a fresh basil leaf.
We did eventually leave the program at CU, but we're happy and still together, and still like to get burgers with bleu cheese and basil.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous you got to eat one without me! School in Boulder feels like an eternity ago... and I don't think I ever really thought of myself as an 'uber geek' :)

heltones said...

Ok, I admit the 'ueber-geek' designation is a stretch. What's more appropriate...nerd, spaz, or my favorite, boffin?

Ueber-boffins...?

Anonymous said...

What the heck is a boffin? It sounds dirty :)

heltones said...

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boffin

"In the slang of the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, boffins are scientists, engineers, and other people who are stereotypically seen as engaged in technical or scientific research. The word conjures up an image of men in thick spectacles and white lab coats, obsessively working with complicated apparatus."