25 July 2008

Post on my building science blog

I write posts for a blog about building science on the HGTVPro website. I got to relate the Tour de France to energy usage (actually power) today. I don't think the post is really all that well written, but it was fun to write and brings up some interesting comparisons, or at least interesting to me.

The main point is that it's really damn hard to generate a lot of power with your body. It's a huge privilege that is extremely underappreciated in this country that we can plug something into a hole in the wall and have enormous amounts of power at our fingertips. An average healthy human can produce 75 watts and keep it up for about 8 hours on a bike. That's not too impressive when you think that that's a single incandescent light bulb or 3-4 compact fluorescent bulbs with similar light output.

Read the whole post here.

No comments: