29 July 2008

Crash!

Bike on bike accidents suck. I was racing to get through a 4-way walk signal at Forbes and Murray in Squirrel Hill when I met another cyclist doing the same damn thing. Unfortunately, he hit his brakes too, I contacted his rear wheel full on my brakes. I wasn't going that fast by then, but still hit the pavement in the middle of the intersection.

Really, it wasn't that bad. The other cyclist and I were both sort of in the wrong, as I think it's technically illegal for a bike to cross as a pedestrian.

The bad part was that there was a large group of jackass high school or college kids on one of the corners that cheered, clapped, and otherwise mocked us, and particularly me. No empathy. Stupid yinzers. However, this lack of compassion, care for other humans, and any other sort of integrity isn't purely a Pittsburgh citizen failing. We've all seen this time and time again in the United States, and in other countries. Humanity is flawed. It's hard to take, but I think it's true. I have hope that it can be unlearned. Some days, the immensity of this challenge socks me in the mouth and laughs.

Otherwise, the ride was nice. Several people (all women) did stop and ask if I was ok. I appreciate their kind souls.

No comments: