30 July 2008

Electrical End-Use Disaggregation


It was a fun, albeit geeky way to spend the morning, but I met a friend at Carnegie Mellon to hear about his research project. He and his colleague have built a system to disaggregate power and events of various electrical end uses on the same circuit. This isn't really all that new of a concept. Several products and/or projects have existed before. I think some of their tools are new and improved. This is only a step in the larger project they are working on. I don't know if it's public yet, so I cannot really say any more about it. I do hope that my company's lab home and other monitored projects may be a good test bed for their system. Although, at the current rate, they will be out of grad school before our lab home has a real occupant. The first two years will see it as an unoccupied test bed.

No comments: