02 February 2009

First run of the year


I made it out for my first run of the year yesterday. I had to take a month off because of the surgery and recovery, but I'm feeling good. I went out for a casual 2 miles on a nice, sunny Sunday afternoon. Bethany, Silas, and Guthrie strolled along the Eliza Furnace Trail while I ran and then we continued to stroll together for a bit. Guthrie was so happy to get out. Between me being cooped up, and Silas taking up so much of Bethany's time and energy, the poor dog spends much of his time on the couch either sleeping on licking one of his paws raw.

Below is a funded mural on the large retaining wall that supports the Parkway East and an entrance ramp up to the highway from Bates St. It cracks me up that the little description calls it public art, but they covered up all the other 'public art' in the area with gray paint. Evidently, the only art that can be public has to be officially consigned.

Below are some shots from and of the Hot Metal Bridge. It was an important bridge in the steelmaking heyday and the war effort in WWII. The bridge was a rail line between the blast furnaces and rolling mill of a steel plant.



No comments: