04 February 2009

Coffee cup musings

Coffee. It gets me through the afternoons. This is my favorite coffee cup in the office. There are three of identical manufacture, but this one stands out to me. There are lots of other mugs here, but they're all too large. Too much mass. Too much coffee. Not set up for good sipping. The smaller mugs reduce my coffee intake, saving my liver from certain death.

The bit of personality that makes this particular cup special to me is that it has a small crack. The handle is actually only fully attached at the bottom. The top is sort of vee-connection now. The crack profile aligns and supports the handle side to side, but not against the torque induced by lifting the cup by the handle when it is full of coffee. Every time I pick up this beautiful piece of imperfection, there is a slight shift as the top part of the handle separates ever so slightly. Perhaps I have heightened senses, but I would swear I hear the tiniest 'chink' as it pops into its loaded equilibrium position.

Some day, this cup will dump hot coffee all over me and my keyboard. I love the uncertainty and adventure I experience every time I pick up the mug. The little things get me through my days.

No comments: