01 February 2009

45 minutes in two museums (musea, if your prefer)

Here is the last post from my urban hiking yesterday. Here are a couple of shots from the 45 minutes I spent in the Carnegie Museum of Natural History and the Carnegie Museum of Art. They're attached and the entrance fee gets you into both. We have a family membership, so it is easy and painless to go and gawk at art, casts of architectural facades, and long-dead animals for a short amount of time. Above is an adolescent tyrannosaurus rex. Below are a set of plate armor from the 1500's, a sculpture of the Buddha from the 13th century, and a close up of a favorite part of one of the paintings in their collection. The artist escapes me right now, but I'll update this when I remember. Perhaps Bethany knows and will comment before I can update.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought the print, but I can't remember the artist. I still can't believe you didn't get harassed for taking pictures in the museum. Maybe one of these days, we will actually frame the print and put it up somewhere in our house.

Anonymous said...

It looks like something by Georges Seurat, but the more I think about it, the less convinced I make myself....

Anonymous said...

I pulled out the print... It's Paul Signac "Place des Lices, St. Tropez"

heltones said...

I just looked him up. Evidently, he (Paul Signac) worked with Seurat on developing pointillism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Signac