17 January 2009

Moving forward

I've read all sorts of great lists of resolutions. I've read lots of banal and trite and inauthentic resolutions. Who knows how many of those folks are actually going to make something happen.

I am resolved to make a change. I don't think a list of actions, goals, outcomes, or things to be attained is a meaningful route to change. What resonates with me is something more akin to a guiding principle or a prime directive. Something that shapes a worldview.

My friend, e, over at like bookends had a nice post about how she's moving into this new year. I think she does it right by stating a resolution or intention that can be used in all aspects of her life. Then she goes and gives some examples.
so, from here on out, i intend to keep my heart open.
-e, like bookends
This is a way to live. This is a way for her to interpret the world around her and shape her reactions. This is much more positive and actionable than "I will go to the gym more."

As for me. I'm continually on a quest for such things. I'm not sure I have come up with something I can write down that is simple and concise. Ockham's razor at work here. I think that the open heart intention is likely enough of a directive. However, in my case, I also need to take control of many aspects of my life. I have let too much slide into autopilot. I recognize this, despite not being able to articulate it effectively.

I just finished a book that presented itself to me at a very appropriate time: the Alchemist. It's a story about a Spanish shepherd boy who journey's to find and complete his "personal legend" or goal in life. Along the way, he runs across all sorts of good people who have abandoned their search because of various reasons. These are the things that are pitfalls for us all. It's a good book, and I strongly recommend it. It told me little I hadn't already considered, but it reframed the concepts and encapsulated them in a heartwarming story. The important thing is that it reminded me that I've been at one of these places where people divert from their path to happiness for the past couple of years. That message has made it to my consciousness from several different sources during this time. This past year was my acceptance of that and the reopening of my heart to the world. I'm using that as I move forward.

2 comments:

heltones said...

People, people, people, they make it sound so easy
They say just do what your heart tells you to
But sometimes you cannot feel it
Sometimes you cannot hear it
Sometimes it won’t talk back to you

Pretty Girl from San Diego
-Avett Brothers

Anonymous said...

This post reminds me of the man that I first met and fell in love with. The man searching for more and not accepting what life just throws his way. I'm glad your back. I love you.