04 March 2009

Bad father of the year award


Yep. That's my claim to fame for the day. Bethany left to teach her yoga class. I wanted to feed Silas a little food before putting him down for a nap. So, I grabbed the sweet potatoes from the fridge and started feeding him. He winced big time at the first bite and gave me a really perplexed look. I laughed, because I thought he was shocked at how cold they were. He opened his mouth, and I fed him a second spoonful. Then, as I gave him the third, I remarked, "wow, Silas, why are you turning red?" Well, it turns out that the container happened to contain leftover Franks Red Hot sauce and butter (buffalo chicken salad for dinner last night).

The great thing was that he took it with style. His poor father freaked out, of course. I washed his mouth out with water, fed him a ton of yogurt, and let him drink about half a sippy cup of water.

I kept him up from his nap until I was sure his tongue wasn't going to swell and block his breathing and ended up sitting with him reading a book while he slept, checking to make sure he was still breathing...

Don't the sweet potatoes and buffalo sauce look similar in the picture above?!?! Who can blame a tired father?

So, long story short: he's ok. I'm kind of frazzled.

After Bethany got home and laughed at me, we had a nice dinner at an Indian restaurant, where Silas got to try new eats: a little lamb curry, naan bread, mango chutney, and mango lassi. Here's a parting shot to show he's ok.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay! i love that he kept eating it after the first bite.
he gets the most adorable tough guy award!

Anonymous said...

I agree. He is a tough little boy. And so willing to try anything new! And Eric, I can think of many worse things that would make you 'bad father of the year.' Which you soooo aren't!

Anonymous said...

Yeah - this is absolutely hysterical - I think you've set the stage for him to love super-crazy-hot foods in the future :)

heltones said...

I hope it prompts him to enjoy hot/spicy foods and not push him toward bland foods.

Unknown said...

Hot sauce is probably a dietary staple for 8-ball's kids. I hope Silas doesn't develop an aversion to spicy food because of this.

Unknown said...

Great Story! He'll be eating Pad Thai at a 10 in no time at all.