04 April 2009

Getting into the garden

This past week, I started getting the garden set for the spring. I pulled finished compost from the bottom of the bin. The sticks aren't decomposing all that fast, but the kitchen and yard scraps do just fine. Well, eventually just fine. The outer material against the bin walls is dry and dessicated. The upper core spent the winter in nasty anaerobic mode and smells really, really bad.

I still have to remove what's grown up and to turn the compost into the soil.


I also pulled a really beautiful wasp nest from the awning.


For posterity and embarassment's sakes, here is a larger shot of our downtrodden back yard before I did any work. I wish I could say it looks much different now, but it doesn't. I hope the grass seeds I sowed take and fill in some of the patches in the grass.

No comments: